Iron Maiden vocalist Bruce Dickinson is a man of many talents. Singer, author, historian, pilot, fencer, philosopher, and now it seems he wants to add Jedi to the list.
The metal legend and avid fencer, who once placed seventh in all of Great Britain in the discipline has revealed that it is a goal of his to have an onstage lightsaber duel with Iron Maiden's iconic mascot, Eddie!
Dickinson revealed this new dream to Forbes magazine, after being asked what fans might hope to expect once Iron Maiden start touring their new album Senjutsu.
"Here's a weird thing. The International Fencing Federation, okay, the actual, like, Western fencing federation in particular, and this is kind of led by the French, now has internationally sanctioned competitions in lightsaber. I kid you not, in lightsaber. I've seen one or two of their training sessions and they actually have competition lightsabers and they are the coolest things. I bought a couple of junior fencing lightsabers and they are just the coolest things on God's green earth. It’s a full on combat lightsaber. You can bash the shit out of it! It doesn't break!
I carried these once into a hotel lobby and we ended up having lightsaber fights in the lobby and nobody stopped us because everybody's like, "That is the coolest thing we've ever seen." So the idea of having like a lightsaber duel with a samurai Eddie on stage, oh yeah, bring it on
Given the level of detail in Dickinson's response here, you can tell he has given the idea a lot of thought and given the amount of onstage swordplay he has displayed during past Iron Maiden tours, we'd be pretty confident predicting this battle for the Iron Maiden galaxy will be going down nightly, somewhere in a galaxy not that far away, soon. We definitely want to see it happen!
Iron Maiden's 17th studio album Senjutsu drops tomorrow!
Watch the video for The Writing On The Wall below.
The full tracklisting is:
1. Senjutsu (8:20) Smith/Harris
2. Stratego (4:59) Gers/Harris
3. The Writing On The Wall (6:13) Smith/Dickinson
4. Lost In A Lost World (9:31) Harris
5. Days Of Future Past (4:03) Smith/Dickinson
6. The Time Machine (7:09) Gers/Harris
7. Darkest Hour (7:20) Smith/Dickinson
8. Death Of The Celts (10:20) Harris
9. The Parchment (12:39) Harris
10. Hell On Earth (11:19) Harris
Senjutsu is available in the following formats:
- Standard 2CD Digipak
- Deluxe 2CD Book Format
- Deluxe heavyweight 180G Triple Black Vinyl
- Special Edition Triple Silver & Black Marble Vinyl (from selected retailers)
- Special Edition Triple Red & Black Marble Vinyl (from selected retailers)
- Super Deluxe Boxset featuring CD, Blu-Ray and Exclusive Memorabilia
- Digital album (streaming and download)