Every year at Soundwave Festival people make the same mistakes. They lose their friends as soon as they walk in the front gate; they forget sunscreen and get fried by that merciless burning ball of gas we call the Sun; they drink too many beers too early and have to get their mum to pick them up; they wear impractical clothing; they dont know who is playing when and so on.
Well this year, if youre a newbie to Soundwave or you just never learned the first time around, weve put together a 10-step Soundwave survival guide which will help you have a positive Soundwave experience!
1. Sunscreen Bring lots of sunscreen. Soundwave takes place during that time of year where its easy to get fried before midday. The last thing you want is to be looking like a lobster with 10+ hours of festival time to go!
2. Cash If youre going to drink lots of beers and buy lots of merch youre going to need lots of cash. It is possible to get cash out at Soundwave, but you should always bring some just in case! Who wants to go straight from the front gate to the ATMs anyway?
3. Appropriate clothing You might think that wearing your favourite latex bodysuit and platform boots is an awesome idea, but by the end of the day youll be hating life. Wear something light which also offers some protection from the sun. Also be prepared for rain. One of those cheap plastic ponchos in your back pocket can be a life-saver!
4. Merch If you spot a really cool piece of merch, dont leave it too late to buy it! You would be surprised at how quickly some things sell out. At the same time, you need to consider what you are willing to carry around with you all day. If its a low-risk merch item then leave it until later on.
5. Friends If youre attending Soundwave with friends, make sure that you have a plan in case youre separated. Mobile phones rarely work at festivals, so if you have meeting places planned out (even meeting places for individual acts!) you wont spend half the day looking for your mates and draining your phones battery.
6. Hydrate Drink lots of water. Think of it this way the more water you drink, the more beer you can drink! Also, if youre dehydrated youll probably get tired and pike before your favourite act is even on stage.
7. Energise Eat something! You cant crush skulls in the pit if you dont have any energy. The food at Soundwave (or any music festival for that matter) is usually pricey and of questionable origin (what are those hotdogs made of anyway?), but smashing down a hotdog or a baked potato can mean the difference between enjoying yourself or feeling tired all day.
8. The Soundwave Program Pick up a Soundwave program when you enter the venue! Those things are awesome. They contain set times, maps (so useful) and other cool stuff. By the end of the day everybody wants one because they totally lost theirs in the pit. Keep yours safe. Cherish it.
9. Plan Ahead Work out which artists you definitely want to see, what time they are playing and on which stage. Write up a small schedule so that you dont lose track of time. If youre organised, you will find the festival experience much more enjoyable. You can split the day up into blocks of artists which you must see and times when you can go and explore without the fear of missing your favourites.
10. Be nice to each other This one is pretty easy. Treat others as you would have them treat you and have fun!